Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spring 2010

A lot has been changing since winter, we've been making good progress and finding new things all of the time.  Spring semester is finally winding down (finals this week), but then summer school starts the following Monday.  It's going to be a struggle between work, school and the farm, but I'm up for the task!  :)  There are a ton of pics, but make sure you look through them all, some of the best are near the end (including the start of the main garden!)


This is when our garlic started sprouting up.


 
And then, as it has been growing.....
 

Some trees that broke during a storm over the winter:

 

And after I chopped them down and cleaned them up:


They will become firewood (once I can get out and chop/saw them all up):


The progress of the new flower bed in the front of the house:



























Some things growing wild in the yard/fields:
For some reason I am obsessed with the British Soldiers (lichen):




My favorite as a child (I used to see how many of them I could collect at a time when we lived in Windham) are the Bluets:



We also have common blue violets growing in the cracks by the workshop (there are a lot more now):



We do have quite a bit of wild strawberry plants flowering, but the following are pictures of strawberry plants that the previous tenants planted.  This first picture is before I started weeding it, the next picture is after I weeded (though not done), and then, the other patch of them on the other side of the barn (I will get some better pics soon, you can't really see them):





We found the rhubarb behind the barn:





The two wildflower garden beds that I made and planted:








The seed-starting setup inside:





Thank you Aunt Terri for all of the egg cartons!!!!







We got a couple of new birdhouses, here is a picture of one of them:




The beginning of the veggie garden (the first till):




The fence that I built for the peas, using trees that had fallen down and the left over wire fencing from the previous tenants:



The irises are growing:






I made Kaya more homemade, natural, organic dog cookies (look how patient she is waiting for them to cool):





I finally got our new, old-school clothes dryer installed and set up, I LOVE it!



And to finish, the garter snake in our workshop:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment